Eloping is becoming a hot topic in the 2016 wedding stratosphere. It's not only a quickly growing trend, it's also shockingly easy to tie the knot. Get a marriage license, spend a few minutes with the judge, and CONGRATS! You're married!
We've blown a kiss to the days when a couple eloped while friends and family shook their heads in disbelief. Today, couples are opting to elope for a number of reasons.
The cost of eloping is a huge factor to consider. In Chicago, to acquire a marriage license, the price tag is $10. A far cry from the average cost of a traditional Chicago wedding averaging between $20,325 and 33,875.
The national average is $26,444. More fun facts here.
Planning your elopement + things to consider
1. You can not make an appointment at the courthouse. Cook County advises couples to show up 30 minutes before the courthouse closes. We suggest even longer for photography purposes.
2. Consider the Chicago Cultural Center as another option in Chicago to elope. Please note space is VERY limited. You must place a request as soon as you purchase your marriage certificate.
3. The sky is the limit today with options for capturing this moment. Though photography, video and social media you have the ability to share as much or as little as you want. Announcements as well as photo albums are a great way for family and friends to celebrate with you.
4. Just because you chose to elope doesn't mean you should forgo all the fun things about getting married. (i.e. Engagement photos, photo registry, the after party - we LOVE all of these elements and can help you with the steps to personalize each.)
5. Even if it's just the two of you or a few close friends (Cook County limits you to 15 guests but, we think 10 is prime), you want to look your best. Take time to select an outfit and consider getting your hair and makeup done. You will want to remember this day looking your best! Ask us for a recommendation or choose a gown from Rent the Runway - on us!
6. Flowers; Having something to hold is a inconspicuous way of concealing nerves. Also, they add so much to your photos.(These beauties are complements of our friends at Asrai Garden.)
7. Post elopement: Host a dinner for 2…20…50 immediately following your knot tying. Chicago restaurants are often thrilled to have a special occasion to help you celebrate, just remember to plan ahead or ask for our list of favorites. Throw a party and use our custom made save the date's to celebrate your elopement!
Cheers to your big day!! xoxo - Laura Rose Davis
P.S. We have been busy helping our brides plan their photo registries to share with friends and family. What's this?! Have a cocktail on us, we'd love to tell you! Text Laura 309-696-5745 to schedule your next cocktail date.